Podcast #3: Breeding Ethics, Not Aesthetics
Podcast by Napo HQ
20th May 2022
22 min listen
, and Pugs make up some of the most popular dog breeds here in the UK. However, the health complications that come from their short skulls and flat faces should be an alarming sign of how dangerous their selective breeding has become.
"Vets Against Brachycephalism"
is a movement founded byDr Emma Milne
, a vet passionate about animal welfare and a leading voice in the awareness of issues around flat-faced (brachycephalic) pets.
Emma joins us to discuss the risks to consider with certain breeds, how we’ve got so many health-compromised animals, and what to look for whenbuying
to ensure your pet’s health comes first.
In this episode
- Causes of recent trends towards popular, short-skulled animals.
- The health issues that we’ve become somewhat desensitised to.
- What to consider if you’re set on buying a pedigree pet.
- The potential risks to consider whenadopting from abroad.
- Whether we’re likely to see a shift away from extreme breeding.